This protocol is used to have students deeply engage with a topic or issue. Teachers can use this activity for students to reflect on or generate ideas, develop projects, or gauge student learning.
- Put the markers by the surface students will be writing on.
- Introduce the Chalk Talk: Explain to students that they will be responding to a guiding question/prompt on the chart paper/board/butcher paper. Students can respond visually in any way they like, whether that be through writing, drawing, or something else.
- Have students walk around space so that they can see other students’ responses. Inform students that they can leave a “comment” or “question” on something another student has written or drawn.
- Introduce the question/prompt.
- Instruct that communication should be non-verbal. The only communication should be through the visuals on the chart paper/board.