Naming our current reality is a crucial first step in any process of change. There are many avenues to discovering and naming our current reality. Below are some essential steps to choose from in order to assess the current reality of your school or community:
- Have students and school personnel take a written self-assessment survey to assist in their self-reflection on issues of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, linguistic differences, culture, and religion.
Basic Checklist for Creating an Equity Plan (See Attachments)
- Assess school climate regarding equity
- Students and personnel take a written self-assessment
- Collect and disaggregate data -test scores, referrals, suspension/expulsions, percentage of ELL students in remedial and AP classes, etc.
- Have purposeful conversations with staff, students, and parents
Always keep in mind the following question: With greater awareness, how will YOU work to build an equitable learning environment?