In addition to these foundational resources, there is a plethora of content from BELE Network partners and friends that can support districts, schools, and individuals towards creating equitable learning environments when we reenter school. This is an ongoing repository of resources released by our friends and partners that we will be updating on an ongoing basis. Be sure to check back periodically to see what’s new!
Summit Public Schools | COVID-19 Spring 2020: Recounting, Reflecting & Lessons for the Fall
- When the COVID-19 pandemic began to shut down various functions of our society, the Summit community designed and launched a Virtual School that enabled students and teachers to continuously engage in learning aligned with our project-based, self-directed, mentor-supported learning model. The following white-paper, COVID-19 Spring 2020: Recounting, Reflecting & Lessons for the Fall, describes Summit’s response to COVID-19 and the resulting school building closures, highlights conditions that enabled success, and articulates lessons learned and implications for SY21 and beyond.
- State and local educational agencies across the country are beginning to prepare for reentry in the fall. Regardless of their learning environment, students experiencing homelessness will have new and dire needs. With public schools identifying over 1.5 million students experiencing homelessness, and the expectation of increased homelessness over the coming school year, even robust homeless education (McKinney-Vento Act) programs are likely to need increased capacity and funds. In addition, as school leaders consider hybrid models, it is essential to recognize the fundamental challenges and inequities of online learning for vulnerable students, including those experiencing homelessness, and to explore opportunities to prioritize them for in-person learning. This checklist offers important considerations to help state and local educational agencies ensure equitable access to education for students experiencing homelessness as they prepare for the new school year.
America Forward | Whole-Learner Education:A Policy Roadmap to Student Success
- Today, there is a persistent disconnect between the holistic set of skills and experiences that every child needs, and what our education system prioritizes. This Policy Roadmap recommends strategies that can help close the gap between what we know students need, and what our current education system provides, so that every learner can grow into a capable, caring, and engaged member of society.
Science of Learning and Development (SoLD) Alliance | COVID-19 Resources for Field Leaders
- The SoLD Alliance is dedicated to elevating resources, backed by the science of learning and development, that advance equity at all levels of the education system. For even more resources, comb through this compilation of guidance, tools, and proven tactics.
Turnaround for Children | Resources For The Three Rs: Relationships, Routines and Resilience
- Turnaround for Children offers guidance and practices for how families and educators can manage student relationships, routines, and overall resilience during the COVID-19 crisis.